Mala beads have been known to provide a lot of health benefits. If you are familiar with, or actively partake in yoga, you would have come across these mala bead necklaces.
They are used to help with the meditation process by providing aid in being mindful during the process. Meditation with the help of mala beads or japa malas can take place in various forms. These include doing breathing exercises and chanting mantras or hymns, all while moving the beads of the malas across your hand. Each of these processes, if done correctly, has the ability to provide the user with numerous mental and physical health benefits. However, how would you know which mala bead is the right one for you?
With the popularity in the usage of mala beads, there are various kinds of mala beads that exist in the market. You’ll find some made of wood, some made of seeds, while still others could be made of bones or gemstones. There are so many options to choose from, and each of them react with the user differently. The simplest rule of thumb to follow while trying to make a choice is to follow your instinct. What is it that you are trying to achieve through the use of these mala beads? What are your final goals and intentions through the use of meditation and mala beads? These are questions which will help you figure out which kind of mala bead you should opt for.
Even among the mala beads which have gemstones on them, the question then becomes which gemstone should you go for? When choosing a gemstone, go for one which is in alignment with the chakras in your body.
- Root Chakra (Base of the Spine): If this is the chakra that you are trying to work on, then you are working on security, intuition and survival. For this, the gemstones on your mala could be chosen from the red and black family, since they will help in relieving your stress.
- Sacral Chakra (Below the Navel): Working on this chakra means that you are focusing on your desires, creativity and sexuality. The stones from the orange family are ideal for this. They help in balancing your health and desires while also aiding you to overcome anger.
- Solar Plexus (Below your Breastbone): This is the chakra that helps you with power and protection. If you are trying to balance this chakra then you should be going for gemstones on your mala which fall in the yellow family. They will help enhance your focusing and decision-making abilities. They also have the potential to improve you spiritually and lead to more happiness.
- Heart Chakra (Center of your Chest): This is the chakra that you will be looking to balance if you are trying to build on love, compassion and emotional well-being. Typically for this the ideal stones fall in the pink and green family. They will help in enhancing your compassion not only towards others but also towards yourself.
- Throat Chakra (Center of your Neck): This is the chakra that helps with your communication. If you need help to balance out this chakra then you should be going for the colour blue in your gemstones. They help in bringing more peace and help you build your self-confidence.
- Third Eye Chakra (Center of your Forehead): This is the chakra that needs to be balanced if you are looking to increase your intuition and spiritual awareness. Gemstones that fall in the dark blue family are ideal for this. Balancing this chakra can help enhance your insight and visual consciousness.
- Crown Chakra (Top of your Head): Finally, the seventh chakra helps balance your consciousness and is known to lead you to enlightenment. The chakra is balanced with the help of gemstones in the colour violet and white. They help in freeing your thoughts and lead you to transcendence.
Based on what each gemstone in your mala bead can do and what you are looking to achieve through your use of the mala bead, is the answer to which mala bead you should go for. It is important that you choose the one that has the most value to you. Explore One Shiva if you are looking for the right japa mala and wish to attain greater meditative power and channel your spiritual energies.